Hunters Hill Catholic Primary School opened in 1868 with 25 students. From 1883, a Marist Brother from St Joseph’s College, took charge of the boys’ schooling. By 1885, Sister Gertrude, a Josephite Sister, was the principal of the girls’ school.
In 1888, the parish constructed a school building which was divided into two: one part being a convent school for the Josephites with five sisters, eight boarders and an assistant teacher living on the premises – a total of 65 girls. The other part, the Marist Brothers’ school, had 48 students.
Two new buildings, one for boys and another for girls, were built on different sites and officially opened in 1908. The girls’ school, named St Joseph’s Girls School, was run by the Josephites. The boys’ school was run by the Marist Brothers and was a primary school for boys from third to sixth class. In 1909, the Josephites handed over the care to the Marist Sisters. This meant that three teaching orders were involved in the education of the children.
The Josephites involvement ended in 1964, when all primary school girls and infants of Marist Convent in Woolwich moved to Gladesville. This consolidation concluded in 1966, with all parish primary-aged children of both sexes, merged.